Asbestos Lawyers: Asbestos lawyers are attorneys who specialize in handling legal cases related to asbestos exposure and resulting illnesses, such as mesothelioma, lung cancer, and asbestosis. These lawyers have expertise in asbestos litigation and can provide legal representation and guidance to individuals or families affected by asbestos-related diseases.
Asbestos lawyers typically handle cases against companies or entities responsible for exposing individuals to asbestos-containing products or materials. They help clients seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages resulting from asbestos-related diseases.
Asbestos lawyers often work in law firms that specialize in personal injury, product liability, or toxic tort litigation. They have extensive knowledge of asbestos laws, regulations, and the legal process involved in pursuing asbestos-related claims. They can help clients navigate complex legal procedures, gather evidence, negotiate settlements, or represent them in court if necessary.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease and believe it is due to asbestos exposure, it is advisable to consult with an experienced asbestos lawyer. They can provide personalized legal advice based on your specific situation and help you understand your rights and options for seeking compensation.
Why You Need a Law Firm Specializing in Asbestos Cases
Hiring an experienced asbestos law firm is the best step your family can take toward securing mesothelioma compensation. These specialized firms tend to focus solely or primarily on asbestos cases and offer unparalleled expertise in this area of law. Their background and knowledge translate into an easier experience for you and your family throughout the legal process.
Asbestos litigation laws vary by state, and they are complex to understand and apply to mesothelioma cases. You want to work with a firm that dedicates most or all of their time to asbestos litigation. These firms have developed extensive resources, asbestos product databases and more to investigate and build your case.
The potential to receive a lot of compensation, possibly millions of dollars, is at hand in mesothelioma lawsuits. With so much money on the line, you want to work with a firm with a strong track record of success.
Why Hire an Asbestos Attorney?
Each level of asbestos litigation demands specialized knowledge and resources due to its complexity.
It’s crucial to engage with a lawyer who has a track record of successfully pursuing compensation claims and holding corporations accountable for unwarranted asbestos exposure.
Fortunately, asbestos attorneys regularly handle cases of this nature, and they can use this knowledge to your advantage.
Top asbestos attorneys provide clients with unique benefits, including:
- Free case reviews. The best asbestos lawyers will review your case for free to see if you can file a claim. During this initial conversation, the asbestos attorney can explain all of your legal options without any obligation for you to work with them.
- No upfront fees. Asbestos attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means they do not get paid unless they secure compensation for your case. If your lawyer does not obtain compensation for your asbestos-related illness, you do not have to pay them.
- Focused expertise. Asbestos law is constantly changing. Compared to general personal injury lawyers, asbestos exposure lawyers are usually more knowledgeable of the latest laws and procedures pertaining to asbestos litigation.
Settlements and Verdicts Recovered by Asbestos Lawyers
Asbestos lawsuit compensation can vary based on whether the parties reach a settlement (out-of-court payout) or proceed to trial in search of a successful verdict. Some asbestos cases have resulted in millions of dollars paid to victims or their family members.
A few notable asbestos verdicts include:
- $250 million for an Indiana steelworker
- $60 million for a New York laborer
- $40 million for a Washington Navy veteran
- $34 million for a California mechanic
Asbestos lawsuits that settle out of court award between $1 million and $1.4 million on average.
On average, lawsuits that go to trial award between $5 million and $11.4 million to asbestos victims.
Your asbestos lawyer can help negotiate a settlement on your behalf or advise whether you should take your case to court.
Asbestos Lawyers Specializations
Some asbestos exposure lawyers can file claims of any nature, while others focus on particular areas of asbestos law.
Asbestos lawyers may specialize in one or more of these areas:
- Mesothelioma: While there are many types of asbestos-related diseases, some asbestos attorneys solely handle mesothelioma cases and are experts in claims involving this deadly cancer.
- Medical Discovery: Certain attorneys and law firms specialize in identifying where the victim was exposed to asbestos while collecting evidence to support a claim.
- Occupational Exposure: Most asbestos exposure happens in the workplace, and some attorneys take a special interest in holding the offending company or companies accountable for exposing employees to this harmful substance.
- Military Asbestos Exposure: Those who were exposed to asbestos while serving their country and developed health issues as a result can work with a specialized lawyer to obtain veterans benefits.
Be sure to ask any lawyer you’re considering if they have experience handling a specific aspect of asbestos law. Their area of specialization could be an asset to your case.
Connect With an Asbestos Attorney Today
Working with an asbestos attorney is the best way to seek compensation for medical treatment and other expenses associated with your illness.
Many victims are not diagnosed until their asbestos-related disease has advanced into later stages, sometimes leaving them with months to live. Skilled asbestos lawyers have the years of experience — and extensive support network — to pursue a legal claim as quickly as possible.